Select Page
You're reading a web archive of Shopifreaks - the Internet's #1 newsletter following the e-commerce industry.

If 2010s are remembered as the decade of social media, then 2020s will be known as the age of financial connectivity. The era when it became incredibly easy to buy things anywhere, anytime, in practically any currency (crypto and fiat alike). 

From BNPL taking over as the most popular way to amortize purchases to cardless payment apps and account-to-account payment networks, this decade is ramping up to be all about facilitating payments and purchases. 

And that’s not necessarily a bad thing. As Professor Farnsworth will say, “Technology isn’t intrinsically good or evil. It’s how it’s used. Like the Death Ray.”

On one side of the spectrum, you’ve got consumers in developed countries like the U.S. and U.K. with waaay too easy access to lines of credit. This can be dangerous. 

On the other side of the spectrum, you’ve got consumers in developing nations, who were previously unrepresented in the banking world, getting financially included and connected for the first time This is a good thing. 

But the age of financial connectivity doesn’t just end with new payment apps. Companies are working right now on making it as easy possible to earn your purchase — including from the ads themselves. Social media companies are experimenting with ways to get you from discovering a product on their platforms to checkout in as few steps as possible. For the most part, buying almost anything has become just one click or tap away — and the decade is just getting started. 

In this week’s 72nd Edition of the Shopifreaks newsletter, I explore new partnerships in the BNPL industry, NFTs on social media, and Apple Tap to Pay partnerships. I also break down Amazon’s opposition to newly proposed legislation, as well as some reasons why Walmart may be a sleeping giant in e-commerce world who just woke up. 

All this and more in this week’s edition. Thanks for being a subscriber. 


Stat of the Week

10% of millennials use BNPL every month. (The other 90% are rumored to still be paying off their previous BNPL purchases…) – According to PYMNTS. Share it on Twitter & LinkedIn


1. Affirm + Stripe

Affirm just landed a new partnership with Stripe, giving merchants the ability to integrate BNPL functionality directly into their online checkout and in-store POS systems.

Customers that qualify will have the option to use Affirm to break up the cost of purchases ranging from as little as $50 all the way up to $30,000. If using the Stripe payments system to buy their items at a retailer, the customer will have Affirm’s “Adaptive Checkout” feature available to them.

The partnership is a win-win for both companies. For Affirm, they get immediate access to Stripe’s millions of merchant partners and customers. And for Stripe, they will earn higher transaction fees on BNPL purchases, which typically hold higher average order values. 

Affirm is on a market share bender right now, having recently also announced partnerships with Fiserv, Shopify, WooCommerce and Verifone.


2. Klarna Card & Credit Reporting

Meanwhile on the other side of the BNPL ocean, in the U.K., Klarna started reporting its credit data to lenders in a landmark move for the BNPL industry. 

Loading...